The Future-State CIO® Journey
What is the Future-State CIO®?
The Future-State CIO® will not only be accountable for IT operations and overall business processes, but will leverage a company-external focus to spur innovation and strategic advantage as a key driver of the CEO’s agenda.
Since the Future-State CIO® program began in 2007, the goal was simple – to define the future of the CIO role as a strategic business partner, not just head of all things tech. Our now widely accepted model divides the role into three distinct stages – Function Head, Transformation Leader and Business Strategist.
The good news is that since 2008 the number of CIOs classified as business strategists has more than doubled.*
Our members have made great strides in transforming the CIO’s “head of tech” role into a C-level advisor, but we’re not universally there yet.
Our members have developed tools for advancing the profession as a whole and for individuals looking for help in becoming a Future-State CIO®, including:
- A role advancement framework and competency development map
- Best practices research and field guide
- Assessment tools for your c-level executive competencies, your business stakeholder relationships and your senior leadership team’s capabilities
- Online seminars for CIOs; Workshops, panels and peer roundtables for senior managers
- Peer advice for solving the challenges of the CIO Paradox
- Press and media opportunities to influence the profession and business expectations
*State of the CIO Survey
Progressing in your career is not something you can just do on your own. The CIO Executive Council network is an invaluable support structure, sparring partners and sources of information that gives you exactly that edge above others."
Ursula Soritsch-Renier, CIO