The Future-State CIO® Journey
What is the Future-State CIO®?
The Future-State CIO® will not only be accountable for IT operations and overall business processes, but will leverage a company-external focus to spur innovation and strategic advantage as a key driver of the CEO’s agenda.
Since the Future-State CIO® program began in 2007, the goal was simple – to define the future of the CIO role as a strategic business partner, not just head of all things tech. Our now widely accepted model divides the role into three distinct stages – Function Head, Transformation Leader and Business Strategist.
The good news is that since 2008 the number of CIOs classified as business strategists has more than doubled.*
Our members have made great strides in transforming the CIO’s “head of tech” role into a C-level advisor, but we’re not universally there yet.
Our members have developed tools for advancing the profession as a whole and for individuals looking for help in becoming a Future-State CIO®, including:
- A role advancement framework and competency development map
- Best practices research and field guide
- Assessment tools for your c-level executive competencies, your business stakeholder relationships and your senior leadership team’s capabilities
- Online seminars for CIOs; Workshops, panels and peer roundtables for senior managers
- Peer advice for solving the challenges of the CIO Paradox
- Press and media opportunities to influence the profession and business expectations
*State of the CIO Survey